Hi. Libby here, I’m a singer and a vocal coach. I was born in Australia and now live in Los Angeles. I have been singing ever since I can remember. I started out “cooing” into a hair brush as a kid, then on to singing in church and school, to then singing professionally as a backing singer and as a studio singer and also performing my music. I have dedicated my life to studying the human voice and there is still so much to learn! I have been blessed to be able to help others realize the true potential of their own voice and discover new ways in which to use it that feel natural and effortless, whilst maintaining their unique sound. Below, I’ll give you a little more concrete info on my history in my mini bio below and if you’d like to know more then please drop me a line! Thanks for stopping by and I hope to stay in touch!
Libby Lavella is an Australian born Singer and Vocal Coach who now lives in Los Angeles. When director Edgar Wright cast actor Mark Webber as the lead singer for Universal Pictures’, “Scott Pilgrim Vs The World” he wanted Mark to replace Beck’s original vocals for the soundtrack and the film. Mark was sent to Libby Lavella for a vocal evaluation. Webber had no experience singing at all, but after 2 weeks of lessons with Lavella, Mark went into the studio and recorded all his own vocals with Nigel Goodrich for the soundtrack and for the film. In addition, Lavella has worked with Universal Records’ Grammy Nominated artist, Gustavo Galindo (Libby also received a Grammy Nomination for her background vocals on his first single “Te Perdi”), Smash Mouth, Wendy Melvoin (Prince), Wendy & Lisa, Courtney Love, Jamie Lynn Spears, Blush (Quincy Jones), Nik & Sam (Nickelodeon), Daphne Blunt (Radio Disney), Frank Gambale, Kate Ceberano (Mushroom), Big Syke (Tupac), Lacey Schwimmer, Kes (5DE), The Wannabes (starring Savvy (STARZ/Cash Money Records), Jessica Bendinger (Stick It!, Bring It On), Sonia Choquette, Brian Lebarton (Beck/Feist), Lights Over Paris, Drew Taubenfeld (Demi Lovato), Devin Bronson (Avril Lavigne), Julianna Raye (Chrysalis), Jeserae (Luc Robitaille), Ben Schmidt (Timothy B Schmidt), cast members of Buffy, Angel and was the resident Vocal Coach on set for MTV’s “ROCKTHE CRADLE” finale. Libby was vocal coach and vocal producer of the CBS pilot Joey Dakota working with Craig Honer. Libby has also production co-ordinated albums for Seal, Robi Rosa and Ricky Martin. In addition to helping other artists realize their potential, Libby has released 3 albums and performed in venues all over the world and is working on a new record. Below is a discography and further information.
- CURIOUS GEORGE – Halloween Special (Universal – post production) – lead singer/voice over/backing vocals
- Gustavo Galindo – Entre la Ciudad y el Mar (Universal Latino/Surco) – backing vocals
- Libby Lavella – Sometime In Morning (TPP) – Singer/Musician/Composer
- ‘Carry My Voice’ and ‘This Way Forever’ – For Random Houses NY Times best seller book series ‘The Secret’s Of The Immortal Nicholas Flamel’ – singer/songwriter
- PAPERCRANES – Rain Phoenix – (INDIE) – Backing vocals
- Libby Lavella – Sponge Brain (TPP) – Singer/Musician/Composer
- Latin on the Flipside (Michael Sembello & Leon Bisquera) – Highway Records (JAPAN) – Backing vocals
- Frank Gambale (JVC) – Thinking Out Loud – Backing Vocals
- Wendy & Lisa – Heroes for Autism at The Avalon and other shows. (Backing singer)
- Smash Mouth – The Tonight Show with Jay Leno 2006 – Vocal Contractor/Arranger/Back up singer
- Shane Alexander/Seal USA Tour 2007 – Keyboard and Backing Singer
- Palm Springs Summer Series Concerts – 2006
- Laura Turner Music Video Band – Curb Records 2005
- Kate Ceberano (Australian Multi-Platinum Mushroom Recording Artist) US Tour 1998 (backing singer)
- A resident performer at Largo (LA).
- Regular performer at The Classic Rock Singalong – M-BAR – LA (as heard on KPCC’s ‘Off Ramp’)
- Has over 15 years live performance experience in Australia, Europe, and America.
- Currently working towards a degree in Linguistics.
- Jazz Studies – The Conservatorium of Music – Sydney
- Film Scoring/Jazz Theory/Music Business – UCLA
- Privately with Joyce Simmons, Kerrie Biddell, Lis Lewis, Darlene Koldenhoven, Steve Memel, Gary Catona and Tiereny Sutton.
STUDIO PRODUCTION EXPERIENCE
George Noriega/Lester Mendez (producers) – Ricky Martin – Los Angeles/Miami – Production Coordinator
March 2002 – July 2004
BT – Los Angeles, CA – Studio Manager and Composer’s Assistant
January 2002 – March 2003
Robi Draco Rosa – Phantom Vox Studios, Los Angeles, CA – Album Production Coordinator
January 2000 – December 2001
Seal – Beverly Hills, CA – Album Production Coordinator
Coordinated recording sessions for London Symphony Orchestra, Memphis Horns, Jeff Beck, Bernie Worrell, Jose Padilla, Emilliana Torrini, Steve Jenkins